Thursday 11 November 2010

Helpful and Informative

Dear Miss Help and Information Desk,

I would like to point out that it is your job to be helpful and informative. The clue is in the title. I would also like to point out that, during my recent visit to York train station, you were neither helpful nor informative.


I would imagine you see a lot of people panicking about having missed their trains. I appreciate that you are probably sick of people asking you which train they need to get. You probably do not always feel like being helpful and / or informative, but as we have established this is your job.


I recently visited your desk because I had missed a train. I had been advised by a very angry ticket inspector that I needed to change at York train station and catch a connecting bus. I expected that this would be common knowledge. Therefore, when I asked you where I needed to catch my bus from, I did not expect you to look at me as though I were from another planet. I am not. I am from Newcastle. It is only an hour away. You advised me (in a very unhelpful tone) that I did not need to get a bus and that I should get a train to Donny. I did not know what Donny was. This is not unusual. People who are not from your planet do not necessarily understand your language. You did not explain further. In fact, you walked away for your break leaving someone equally unhelpful and uninformative in your place.


As a result, I left your desk feeling neither helped nor informed. I rather feel you failed at your job. I thought you would like to know this.


Kind Regards,


Mrs B x

No comments: