Sunday 21 February 2010

Beluga Whales and Nandos (now there's a combination you don't often come across)

I like food. This is not a secret. My love of food has led to me resembling a Beluga whale. I have been saying this for months now, but only just found out what a Beluga whale actually looks like. I'm posting a picture in case you do not know either.



This love of all things edible has led to many an awkward situation in restaurants, as Mr B rarely eats as much as I do when we eat out. Take yesterday as an example. We went to Nandos. I was feeling rather peckish and ordered half a chicken with two sides (I can see you all recoiling in horror already). By contrast, Mr B ordered a mushroom and halloumi burger with a small side. For those of you unfamiliar with the Nandos experience, you order at the till and they bring the food to your table. This saves the awkwardness of me having to order the biggest meal known to man, whilst Mr B orders the equivalent of a lettuce leaf. However, it does present a problem when the food arrives at the table and there is that awkward moment where the waiter / waitress starts to give my meal to Mr B and I say "actually, that's mine" in a rather demonic tone of voice (the kind that implies I am going to do unspeakable things to them if I don't get my food immediately). Yesterday was no different. On discovering that the aforementioned huge meal was mine, the poor waitress's eyes nearly popped out of her little head. It was mildly amusing, but also made me feel like I actually am a Beluga whale. At this juncture I feel it is appropriate to point out that whilst I am carrying some excess weight, I am not so large that I have my own postcode (yet). Her look of horror when bringing my food to the table was matched only by the expression on her face when she collected my empty plate a mere twenty minutes later.


I didn't dare tell her I wanted pudding too ...

1 comment:

Mizz Bee said...

I'm shameless about that kind of thing. Himself would rather have a pint of something nice than a meal so often he will order soup whilst I order huge food. On Saturday I made it very clear to the waitress that HE was "just having soup" and the EEC Food Mountain was for me!! Having said that, he managed to scoff all of my salad (bar the two pieces of red onion I managed to salvage) plus 90% of my chips!!