Sunday 9 May 2010

Shopping Ettiquette

Whilst shopping yesterday, I encountered a number of incidents which would suggest that there are people who leave their manners at home whilst they are in a shop. This applies to the staff as much as the customers. So, in addition to my guide to Office Etiquette, here is a guide to shopping etiquette.



1. It is entirely inappropriate for you to stand in the entrance to a shop, having a conversation with someone and blocking the way for everyone else to get in. This also applies to aisles within the shop. I am not your friend. I do not want to be held up listening to your conversation.

2. I am not invisible. You can see me. Do not ram your trolley into me. It hurts.

3. When I am buying wine at the self-checkout and you have to come over to authorise the transaction, do not click the "customer is clearly over 25" button. I am only just 25. When you say I am "clearly" older than this, it makes me feel old and wrinkled.

4. When I am standing staring at a particular shelf, it is generally because I am perusing the contents. It is incredibly rude of you to step in front of me and start looking at things on that same shelf. It makes me angry.

5. If you must insist on dragging your poor children around a busy shop on a Saturday, it would be prudent of you to keep an eye on them. This would prevent them from attempting to trip up other shoppers and generally making a nuisance of themselves (please note, I have nothing against children, I just don't like tripping over them whilst I shop).

6. When serving customers at the till, it is not a good idea to conduct an argument with your boyfriend about where exactly your paracetamol are. This is not brilliant customer service.

7. If I am browsing a selection of clothing, I do not need an over-enthusiastic shop assistant to come and advise me of all the different colours in which I can purchase a garment. Especially not when all these colours are on display. I am also capable of working out the difference between long-sleeved and short-sleeved shirts, thank you.

8. If you are trying to encourage me to buy something, it is probably not a great idea to swagger over to me reeking of alcohol and telling me you feel like a refugee in your uniform. In fact, would probably be a good idea to carry some mints and not speak to any customers until you are sober.

That's all I can think of right now, but feel free to add your own ...

No comments: