Tuesday 14 September 2010

The Elderly and The Chip Pan

You may recall me telling you that during my prolonged break from blogging, my nana was in hospital having a shoulder operation. During this time, my grandad was left to fend for himself. This is not good. My grandad has never really had to look after himself. His jobs involve making hot drinks, washing the dishes and mowing the lawn. Anything outside of this is an impossible task. 

One evening when I called him, he advised me that he was making egg and chips for tea. Hurrah, I thought to myself, he is looking after himself. He said that the chips had been in the fryer for an hour and a half but had not yet cooked. I tried not to assume the worst. I asked him if he was sure the chip pan was plugged in. He was certain. The little red light was on. I then asked him if there was enough oil in to cover the chips. Here, we came to the root of the problem. Grandad replied: "No, there's no oil love. Our chip pan doesn't need oil." I refrained from asking him how on earth he expected the chips to cook without oil, all the while imagining the chip pan valiantly attempting to cook the chips, failing miserably, and dissolving into a pool of molten plastic and poisonous vapours. I gave him instructions on how to cook chips in the oven. He thought this was too much like hard work. He said he would go to the chip shop for some chips. I asked him if he would still have egg or would he have something else from the shop. He replied "I think I'll ask them for a chinese. I quite fancy a chinese". 

I gave up. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always motivated by you, your opinion and way of thinking, again, appreciate for this nice post.

- Norman