Tuesday 7 August 2012

All Grown Up

My baby boy is all grown up. He turned one on Saturday. It would not be unreasonable to say I am distraught. Even if the fact that he has woken up the last few nights wanting a bottle and a bottom change proves he hasn't grown up that much (or perhaps I am wrong and he will still want a bottle and a bum change in his teens). Sigh. What do I know?

Here's how we celebrated:


1. By embarrassing the boy by putting pictures of him all over the dining room, including photos we have affectionately titled 'Colonel Gaddaffi Baby' and 'Baby Burrito'


2. With a cake made by yours truly (I am available for children's parties, and any event where the actual state of the cake isn't overly important).


3. With a proper cake made by Gareth James Chocolatier. It did not disappoint. I did not (*did) hide a huge slab of it in my fridge for future consumption.


4. With a bouncy castle. For the children. I tried to bounce on it, but it was not happy with me. I sank into a big heap in the middle whilst small children laughed at me and my "friends" took photos!


5. By letting our small child eat the stones. Clearly, we were not providing food at this BBQ.


6. By proving my inadequacy as a parent for not being able to remove jelly from jelly moulds. This was meant to be a jelly ring. There was meant to be a car, a bunny and a random wobbly shape. The car disintegrated. The bunny melted. The wobbly shape landed in a washing up bowl of dishes. 

I know. I'm setting the bar sooooo high for future birthday parties. 

1 comment:

Mizz Bee said...

You could now change your blog's name to "like getting jelly out of a mould for a children's party in one piece".

As a child we had a bunny jelly mould. It was orange. I don't ever recall a bunny shaped jelly coming out of it. Hope that makes you feel better!