Monday 30 July 2012

The Happiness Project

Happiness is....

Go on. Someone fill in the blank for me. I'd genuinely like to know.

This is one of the down sides of being a permanently miserable cow. You can't remember what happy feels like, or what is meant to make you happy so you can fake it until it works. You can sort of remember what you used to enjoy doing, but find yourself wondering why you ever enjoyed it, because suddenly, being happy and enjoying things seems like very hard work.

I've decided to start trying to be happier. I don't really think it's working, but I am doing more things I used to do before I became terminally miserable. I have started blogging again, I have done some knitting. I decided to try reading again, and what better place to start than with a book aptly titled 'The Happiness Project'. I liked the name of it. I am generally good at projects, especially if they involve reading and writing lists. I am less good at projects which involve actually doing something; for evidence of this, please see my garden and my kitchen. 'Nuff said. So far this book is about reading and making lists. So far, so good. We might hit a sticking point when I actually have to do something.

It was the lovely J who introduced me to this book. On her ipad no less. I am quite a fan (of the book, and the ipad). I'm not stalking J, or trying to be her or anything, though I will admit to having a minor infatuation with her happiness and her optimistic outlook on life. It's infectious and inspiring, and it makes you feel like you're really missing out on something by being a miserable cow. So, after meeting her last week and becoming infected with a desire to be happier and have a more positive life, I downloaded the book. Sadly, not to my ipad, but onto my kindle, which is the next best thing. 


It's starting to have an impact. I'm getting in touch with some of my old hobbies. I'm feeling a little inspired to create things again, I'm knitting. These things might sound boring to you but they're a part of the old me that I seem to have lost over the last year. I don't think reading a book and clacking some needles together is going to fix my life. Of course it isn't but it will be a start.

I'm feeling tentatively happy about that.

2 comments:

Mizz Bee said...

Sounds good to me....I rather feel I need a copy of said book.

I bought a new knitting pattern last night. A bunny egg cosy! As you do.......

Charlotte B said...

It's been a very interesting read. Gretchen Rubin - "The Happiness Project".

I like the bunny egg cosy idea :)