Tuesday 19 January 2010

Happy Birthday to Mrs B

Today is the fourth anniversary of my 21st birthday. At 25, I don't feel tremendously old (despite my lovely husband reminding me that I am now a quarter of a century old and at least a quarter of the way to being dead - he's so funny sometimes).

I overheard a colleague of mine using this phrase a couple of days ago. She was on the phone to some Mr Fix It and, after about 45 minutes on the call, invited him to celebrate her 21st. At this juncture, I should point out two things. Firstly, that she was joking. Secondly, that she is ever so slightly over the age of 21, a fact which Mr Fix It had no problem figuring out. He must have said something quite rude to her as she then exclaimed : "It is too. It is the anniversary of my 21st birthday". This was followed by a short pause then a very indignant "never you mind how many anniversaries". This amused me greatly and I have been desperate to use that phrase ever since.

As usual, I have attempted to resist celebrating my demise but, as usual, Mr B has tried to encourage it at every possibly moment. This year he has planned the big surprise. I have been getting "clues" to this surprise present since Christmas. Until today all I have known is that it is big, has "leads", all our family have contributed to it and think it is a lovely idea, and that (in typical fashion) Mr B purchased it with only 48 hours to spare. This morning I have discovered that it is a Sony CD player with iPod docking station and a built in radio. Now, this may not sound particularly brilliant to some people, so let me explain. I used to have a CD player which I very much liked. I could come in of an evening and think "hmmmm I fancy listening to that CD" and I could play that CD. Then, several months ago, my trusty CD player broke. I say "broke", but what I actually mean is that in order to play CDs on it, you had to wedge the CD drawer open with a cardboard DVD sleeve. This was no great hardship to me, but a source of constant annoyance to Mr B. He decided enough was enough and that we were going to trade in our (well, actually MY) old CD player for an iPod docking station and a purple iPod Nano. I have to say, the purple Nano was welcome. Being able to listen to music on the long metro ride to work seemed like a great plan. As did the idea of having lots of CDs put onto it so I had plenty of choice. And, obviously, the fact that it is purple Little did I know that I would rarely play music in the house because the effort of loading a CD into iTunes to then load it onto the iPod Nano (and potentially the effort of having to decide what to delete to make room for the latest addition) was just too much. Cue months of me whinging (every time that I wanted to listen to something) that there was nothing wrong with my old CD player. Now, the problem is solved! Magic.

P.S. Having read that back, I would like to point out that I posted this at 7.45am on the 20th January 2010. Not at 9.38pm on the 19th January. Talk about living in a time warp!!!


No comments: