Sunday 10 January 2010

Snow, Bathrooms, Phones and Eggs for Dinner














Well, as the snow has (very rudely) decided to start melting, I thought I'd start by sharing some of my favourite snow pictures from the last couple of months including playing in the snow with the lovely Martin family, building a snow family and some from the drive home for Christmas. The pictures from the drive home were shot out of the car window whilst driving down the motorway, much to the dismay of my husband who didn't seem to agree that hanging out of the car window in the Arctic weather with a rather expensive camera whilst travelling at 70mph was a good idea ... What does he know?!

Today has been quite eventful. After waking up to discover that there was very little snow left to play in (and sulking about this), I decided to launch an attack on the bathroom armed with a scourer and a bottle of bleach. It's not as bad as it sounds, in fact, our bathroom is generally quite clean. However, in an attempt to "spring clean" (can you still call it a spring clean in the winter?) I decided to look in strange places such as behind the sink and inside the cistern, felt suitably disgusted with the results and got straight down to scrubbing. Mid-scrub Mr B decided to start a conversation about what to have for lunch.

I should explain that Sunday lunch is a contentious issue in our house. Every week (without fail) we write "eggs" for lunch on Sundays and every week it gets to lunch time and I say "but I don't want eggs for lunch". This almost always ends with Mr B pointing out that I wrote the offending shopping list and me responding with a rather eloquent "hmph". That is exactly what happened today. The conversation ends with Mr B asking for solid and good reasons not to want eggs for dinner. Today I decided to use the following : the scrubbing of the bathroom (perfectly illustrated by holding out a slightly dusty scouring pad, much to Mr B's horror), the fact that there is no snow to play in, the fact that I was actually VERY hungry and a sulk about my phone being broken. All very good reasons, I thought.

The broken phone has been a very sticky issue this weekend. After facing a rather unfortunate accident (that being me throwing it across a very busy road and head-first into a pile of snow), I purchased a spangly new purple case for my lovely Nokia 6220 classic. On it's arrival, Mr B decided to play at 'being a man' and fix the new cover. To cut a long story short, during this process, the screen met with a rather sticky end. So we took it to Mr Fix-It who said it would take approximately two days to fit a new screen. Two weeks later I am still awaiting the return of said phone. It appears that Mr Fix It has taken my phone to pieces and is now sitting around contemplating his navel with little, or no, intention of ever fitting the aforementioned screen. This came to a head yesterday when the lovely Mr Fix It advised that not only has he not bothered himself to fix the screen, but that we cannot have the phone back until it is fixed and paid for. I am thrilled about this. Especially as I have been using Mr B's work brick which is not really fit for purpose due to being an actual brick. So today, between cleaning the bathroom and ranting about eggs for dinner, I somehow managed to convince Mr B that a trip to town for a new phone was absolutely necessary.

After a long-winded conversation with Mr Trainee in the O2 shop who was very adamant that I could not purchase the Nokia 6700 on Pay As You Go (despite the sign attached to the phone which advertised a very different opinion) and a trip to another store, I left with a shiny new phone and promptly dragged a very willing Mr B into Nandos. This seemed like a good idea at the time, however after waiting a long time for our food and listening to Mr Nandos shouting at Mrs Nandos down a walkie-talkie about the lack of food, it seemed like a less than brilliant plan!!!

Despite this, and the disappointing lack of snow, I have to say today has been mainly positive. After all, I do have a clean bathroom and a shiny new phone AND most importantly, I did not have to have eggs for dinner. RESULT!!!

No comments: