Sunday 11 April 2010

Supersize Vs Superskinny

I am about to reveal a rather disturbing fact (or two) about myself. If you are not prepared for scary revelations, might I suggest you look away now.

I am petrified by the television series "Supersize Vs Superskinny". I'm not even kidding. In case you haven't seen it, the doctor steals a really really huge person off the street and puts them in a house with another stolen person, who is so skinny you can barely see them. This in itself is quite scary.

He then makes them switch diets for a week. This week, for example, the supersize person ate nothing for breakfast, about ten pasties for dinner, a tonne of spaghetti with thirty meatballs for tea, followed by a huge bag of crisps and a packet of biscuits as an evening snack. Now, I love my food, and I admit to being able to eat quite a lot of it, but this diet takes the biscuit (no pun intended). The thought of attempting to fit that amount of food into my body on one day scares the living daylights out of me. Never mind eating that amount every day of my life. I don't know how they do it. If it wasn't so dangerous, I'd say they deserved a medal.

The superskinny person had a piece of toast for breakfast, a dry pitta bread for dinner and then something really tiny like a small jacket potato with a piece of cauliflower cheese for tea. It scares me that there are people in the world with diets like this. Especially when they think these diets are healthy. I don't know how they manage to function adequately on that little food : I don't think I could even make it through to lunch on that.

I can't watch the programme without reaching for food. Any food will do, just as long as I can eat. I suspect that this makes me a very bad person.

When I was at university (because I had a brain once you see), I did a huge essay on literature about eating disorders. It was not pretty. As research, I had to read at least fifteen books written about young adults with eating disorders. I couldn't read without having something to snack on. I put on at least a stone in weight whilst reading these books. It's as though something in my head told me that if I ate, the superskinny people would put on a little weight. Clearly this wasn't the case. I was getting fatter and they, according to the literature, were getting thinner. Something was going horribly wrong. The interesting thing about it all is that these superskinny people were also being forced to eat a supersize diet to make them "better". So, in order to stop yourself fading away, you have to eat enough food in one day to feed an entire village. That makes sense (or not).

I've decided it all comes down to chips and mars bars: the supersize people need to stop eating them, the superskinny people need to start. Simple.

2 comments:

Mizz Bee said...

It teffifies me too! My tummy has the ability to accommodate a surprising amount of cake and chocolate but how do those supersizers eat all those pies and pizzas and the like? I'm also scared of the superskinnies - I fear they will break.

Am I having deja vu or did we already have this conversation elsewhere?

Charlotte B said...

I have deja vu about this too. So we have either had this conversation before, or we both have slightly squiffy deja vu.